Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Don't judge a book by it's cover...unless it's cute!

A couple weeks ago I finished my devotional book I had been reading for over a year. I loved it and was determined that I needed to find another one ASAP. A trip to our local Christian book store and I was faced with so many choices. What exactly was I looking for? Many of them looked interesting. There were devotionals geared toward moms and wives and women in general. The one I had just finished reading was a Mom's Daily Devotional so this time I wanted something for me! I just didn't know how to choose. There were so many and they all looked great. But finances were only allowing me to purchase one at this time. I really needed God to send a big flashing neon sign that said "This is for Heather!" And then I saw it. Let me be honest and tell you that I picked it up because it was cute. Yes, cute. It was black patent leather with silver writing and baby pink inside. That alone told me this was the one for me. It had no description. The only thing I knew about it was the title, "Inspiration for Girlfriends" and the author, Ellen Miller. I didn't open it up and read any of the passages. I just walked to the register and paid for it, certain I had found a gem!

Boy was I right?! I'm only 16 days into it, but already I can tell you it is speaking to my heart and changing my life. God has been bringing some of my not so great personality traits to the forefront of my mind lately. I really feel him urging me to make some changes. One of the biggest issues I feel him challenging me on is my judgemental attitude. Often times without even realizing I'm doing it, I judge people. I feel horrible even admitting that, but admitting there is a problem is the first step, right? I've been praying that I will recognize when I start to have those thoughts and change them immediately.

This morning, I wake up and do my usual routine of reading my morning devotion before I get out of bed. Guess what I read??? "...I quickly realize that I often do not live a life of grace. When I am spread too thin, I tend to become harsh and judgemental...Something as simple as acknowledging an unhealthy pattern or reaction can be a powerful tool in stopping the insanity of repeated mistakes.." Yes, I have no doubt that message was for me and I am thankful for it. Each devotion ends with a quote from Scripture. This was today's: "Since you judge others for doing these things, why do you think you can avoid God's judgment when you do the same things? Don't you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant and patient God is with you?"- Romans 2: 3-4. Ahh yes, I will be pondering that for a while!

P.S. Here's a link to the book if you would like to learn more!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by Sarah! :) I'm also following your blog!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found another great devotional for you this time! The book does sound like a gem! May it continue to bless your life with each page you read! Thank you for sharing how God is working in your life on NOBH! God bless!

    ReplyDelete